Current Work Items
ADRI collaborates in the development of practical strategies to enable the creation, preservation and access to born-digital and digitised records. A number of projects are currently underway, these include:
- Consultation on the draft ‘Information management requirements for SAAS’ (due 18 December 2019)
- Consultation on the draft ‘Sustainable Digital File Formats’ (due 18 December 2019)
- Digital records competences for staff in government agencies
- Digital records preservation formats
- Improving digital transfers
- Information management requirements for business systems and software as a service (SAAS)
- Machine learning applications for archives
- Recordkeeping metadata property reference set
Digital records competencies for staff in government agencies
Project Manager: Linda Zakman (NAA)
The objective of the project is contribute to create a broadly applicable Capability Matrix for digital information and records management (IRM) that can be used by individuals and organisations to identify the skills and knowledge needed to flourish in the digital age as professional information and records managers.
The project will review and test the work of the NAA’s Capability Matrix v.2 for application in a broader context and build on the matrix to create a tool that can be used by other jurisdictions and levels of government/authority.
Digital Records Preservation Formats
Project Manager: Andrew Waugh (PROV)
A set of standard digital records preservation formats and principles for determining future formats.
Improving digital transfer
Project Managers: David Brown (PROV)
This project involves identifying opportunities to improve digital transfer from agencies to archives.
The project will identify opportunities to improve the digital transfer process that could be addressed by subsequent ADRI projects, and document the process, techniques, and tools used by jurisdictions in carrying out a digital transfer.
Information Management Requirements for Business Systems and Software as a Service (SAAS)
Project Managers: Eric Swain (NAA) and Andrew Waugh (PROV)
The project will develop guidance on recordkeeping requirements for business systems managed as part of a Software as a Service arrangement. This is seen as a gap as agencies in many of our jurisdictions are not adequately providing for management of information created and stored in business systems managed in the cloud. This relates to common business systems (eg HR, Finance, and Client Management).
Machine learning applications for archives
Project Managers Tatiana Antsoupova (NAA)
The project will:
- frame a research agenda for machine learning application for archival management;
- facilitate sharing practical experiences and provide an avenue for exchange of knowledge between archival authorities, and
- identify possible joint projects if applicable.
Recordkeeping metadata property reference set (Implementation guidance for AS/NZS 5478:2015 recordkeeping metadata property reference set (RMPRS))
Project Manager: Eric Swain (NAA)
CAARA members have agreed to adopt AS/NZS 5478:2015. This project will develop standardized text and implementation guidance to be used by CAARA members to support agency adoption of AS/NZS 5478:2015
Stage 1: standard text for publication to all ADRI member websites was approved by CAARA in October 2016 and ADRI members have all been asked to update their websites.
Stage 2: development of a data model was discussed with ADRI in February and will be finalised shortly.
Stage 3: development of minimum metadata sets is due for completion in July 2017, but is behind schedule. A draft has been prepared by NAA which will shortly be shared with the working group then all ADRI members.